Before starting to read this social media images guide let me explain what are social media platforms and their uses.
Social media platforms are websites or applications that empower a user to create and share content or participate in social networking with like-minded people. There are a lot of Social Media platforms that we use on daily basis.
Popular Social Media Platforms
Some of the most famous social media platforms that we use on daily bases are:
It is a platform that allows users to connect with friends, family, and colleagues. According to some surveys around 1.91 Billion people use Facebook daily to share photos, videos, messages, and other things.
It is the second most used social media platform that people use daily, around 500 Million users a day use Instagram. It allows a user to share photos, videos, and text. Most people use Instagram on daily basis to share beautiful pictures and videos because it has a lot of digital filters that help to enhance the quality and appearance of their content.
This platform allows users to send and read messages in the form of short tweets. The limit of a standard tweet is 140 characters. According to some surveys, around 259.5 Million people use Twitter daily around the globe.
When it comes to video-sharing social media platforms, then not any platform can beat TikTok. Around 50 Million users a day is a huge number of users that use this social media platform daily. People create and share short clips, lip-sync videos, comedy acts, and a lot of other talent-based videos on this social media platform.
Around 445 Million active users around the globe share their creations and beautiful work in the form of images, videos, and infographics on this platform. It allows a user to share images and videos in the form of “pins” to a virtual board. People organize and share their interests to reach people around the globe.
It is another powerful social media platform that allows users to submit and discuss content in the form of links, text posts, images, and videos. According to surveys around 52 Million users are active on Reedit.
It is a powerful social media platform for professionals. It is primarily used for professional networking and job hunting. According to google stats, 134.5 Million people are active on this powerful social media platform.
These are just a few examples of popular social media platforms, there are many other platforms available on the internet like YouTube, Snapchat, WhatsApp, Flickr, and many others.
Why you should need to know about the Sizes of Social Media Images to use?
There are a lot of reasons why it is important to know about the sizes of social media images before creating your accounts and using these platforms.
Let me explain some of the most important points of understanding the sizes of social media images:
- Proper size of social media images helps to ensure that your images look good without dissertation or pixelate. Different social media platforms have different recommended sizes for images, and using the perfect and accurate size ensures that your images look good and appealing.
- If your images are not in the correct size, they will take up more space in the feed and be unnoticeable to users. Proper sizes of social media images stand out in a user’s feed to attract users.
- The perfect size of social media images can help you avoid having a truncated or cropped image. Some social media platforms will automatically resize or crop images that do not fit within their recommended size ratio. If a platform automatically resizes your image, it most of the time does not look appealing and you have no other option to make it looks better. By using the correct size, you can ensure that your images are displayed as you want.
Overall, using the correct and perfect sizes of social media images can help to improve the visual appearance and reach of your account.
What are the perfect sizes of social media images to use?
We’ll offer you the full rundown of image sizes for timeline posts, profile pictures, cover photos, and much more for all social media platforms from Facebook to LinkedIn.
So, the wait is over let’s start learning about the all perfect sizes of social media images.
1. Facebook social media images
You will need to remember the size of your Profile Picture and Cover Photo image sizes must while setting up your Facebook profile. The standard Facebook profile photo dimensions are 180×180 pixels (recommended). The reason for selecting this perfect size is that it can be displayed perfectly on different devices: on desktop, it adjusts to 170×170 pixels, on mobile devices it adjusts to 128×128 pixels, and on feature phones that support Facebook it adjusts to 36×36 pixels automatically.
When it comes to Cover Photo, you should choose a photo that is 851×315 pixels (recommended). It adjusts to 820×312 pixels on all desktop devices and when it comes to smartphones it adjusts to 640×360 pixels and fits perfectly.
As Facebook provides a lot of opportunities to users, you just need to know about the other image sizes also that are used on Facebook.
- Facebook Feed Ads: 1080×1080 pixels (recommended), the minimum size is 600×600 pixels
- Facebook Marketplace Ads: 1080×1080 pixels (recommended), aspect ratio 1:1
- Facebook Search Ads: 1080×1080 pixels (recommended), the minimum size is 600×600 pixels
- Facebook Messenger Inbox Ads: 1080×1080 pixels (recommended), the minimum size is 254×133 pixels
- Facebook Messenger Stories Ads: 1080×1080 pixels (recommended), aspect ratio 9:16
- Facebook Sponsored Messages: 1080×1080 pixels (recommended), aspect ratio 1.91:1 to 1:1
- Facebook Instant Articles Ads: Should be 1080×1080 pixels (recommended), aspect ratio 1.91:1 to 1:1
- Facebook Right Column Ads: 1080×1080 pixels (recommended), the minimum size is 254×133 pixels
2. Instagram social media images
Remember this size guide while you are setting up your Instagram Profile. The standard Instagram profile photo dimensions are 320×320 pixels (recommended). The reason for selecting this perfect size is that it can be displayed on all devices perfectly.
Instagram doesn’t support Cover Photo. Other Instagram image sizes are:
- Instagram landscape photo dimensions: 1080×566 pixels (recommended), aspect ratio 1.91:1
- Instagram portrait photo dimensions: 1080×1350 pixels (recommended), aspect ratio 4:5
- Instagram square photo dimensions: 1080×1080 pixels (standard), aspect ratio 1:1
- Instagram thumbnail: 161×161 pixels, aspect ratio 1:1
- Instagram Stories image size: 1080×1920 pixels, aspect ratio 9:16
- Instagram landscape carousel: 1080×566 pixels, aspect ratio 1.91:1
- Instagram portrait carousel: 1080×1350 pixels, aspect ratio 4:5
- Instagram square carousel: 1080×1080 pixels, aspect ratio 1:1
- Instagram IGTV: 1080×1920 pixels, aspect ratio 9:16
- Instagram IGTV cover: 420×654 pixels, aspect ratio16:9
- Instagram Stories Ads: 1080×1920 pixels, aspect ratio 9:16
3. Twitter social media images
According to Twitter officials, if you tweet with visual content it is most likely to receive 3X traffic as compared to text tweets. Visual content has more chances to be retweeted than a simple text tweet, but it all depends on the nature of the tweet.
Therefore, never forget to optimize the sizes of social media images as per Twitter recommendations. Let’s take a look at different recommended sizes for Twitter.
- Twitter profile photo size: 400×400 pixels (recommended with a limit of 2MB file size)
- Twitter header photo size: 1500×500 pixels (recommended), aspect ratio 3:1
- Twitter in-stream photos: 1600×900 pixels (recommended), minimum size 600×335 pixels
- Twitter card: 120X120 pixels, it is useful when your tweets contain a URL
- Twitter Ads image: 800×800 pixels (recommended), aspect ratio 1.91:1 with minimum 800×418 pixels
- Twitter single and multi-image tweets: 600×335 pixels minimum (recommended)
- Twitter carousels and App cards: 800×800 pixels, aspect ratio 1:1 and 800×418 pixels for 1.91:1 aspect ratio
- Twitter conversation and direct message cards: 800×418 pixels aspect ratio 1.91:1
- Twitter fleets: 1080×1920 pixels (recommended)
TikTok is a powerful social media platform that allows us to make and share short videos. We use TikTok for many reasons like entertainment, creativity, connecting with others, marketing & advertisement, learning, and many more. It allows a business or organization to reach its audience through sponsored content and influencers.
Let’s take a look at different recommended sizes for TikTok.
- TikTok profile image size: 20×20 pixels minimum, for better results you need to use high-quality images in a 1:1 aspect ratio TikTok video size: 1080×1920 pixels, ideal aspect ratio 1:1 or 9:16
Pinterest is a visual display and planning platform that allows us to find and save ideas from other users depending on our interests and projects. We use Pinterest for a variety of purposes, like events and party ideas, home decor and design ideas, DIY and craft ideas, fashion ideas and beauty tips, and for all interests we have to find. In general, we use Pinterest to get inspiration and ideas from others.
Let’s take a look at different recommended sizes for Pinterest.
- Pinterest profile image size: 165×165 pixels (recommended)
- Pinterest cover photo size: minimum 800×450 pixels (recommended) in a landscape with an aspect ratio 16:9
- Pinterest image size for pins: 1000×1500 pixels (recommended)
- Pinterest square pins size: 1000×1000 pixels, recommended aspect ratio: 2:3
- Pinterest image size for collection pins: 1000×1500 pixels or 1000×1000 pixels (recommended)
- Pinterest Ads image size: 1000×1500 pixels or 1000×1000 pixels, aspect ratio 1:1 or 2:3
- Pinterest carousels image size: 1000×1500 pixels or 1000×1000 pixels, aspect ratio 1:1 or 2:3
- Pinterest shopping Ads: 1000×1500 pixels, aspect ratio 2:3
- Pinterest App Install Ads: 1000×1500 pixels, aspect ratio 2:3
Reddit is another social discussion and news platform where users submit content in the form of links, text, and image posts. Other users can then vote on these submissions, or people can comment on the ideas. Reddit contains a messaging system and a user profile feature that enable us to decorate our profile and posts. There are a lot of “subreddits” for topics like news, politics, science, technology, movies, games, music, books, health & fitness, sports, and whatever you want.
Let’s take a look at different recommended sizes for Reddit.
- Reddit community profile image size: 256×256 pixels
- Reddit banner image size: 1920×384 pixels for a large banner, aspect ratio 5:1
- Reddit banner image size: 1920×256 pixels for a medium banner, aspect ratio 7.5:1
- Reddit banner image size: 1920×128 pixels for a small banner, aspect ratio 15:1
- Reddit body background: 4000×4000 pixels
- Reddit image widgets: 312 pixels
- Reddit emoji: 128×128 pixels
- Reddit post: 80×60 pixels
According to the officials the rate of comments and reach on LinkedIn posts with images is 2X more than a normal post. A perfect-sized image and picture collages significantly increase interaction. It is recommended that you must use images in your LinkedIn posts for the best outcomes.
Let’s take a look at different recommended sizes for LinkedIn.
- LinkedIn profile photo size: 400×400 pixels (recommended) the maximum supported size is 7680×4320 pixels
- LinkedIn cover photo size: 1584×396 pixels (recommended), aspect ratio 4:1
- Image Sizes for Company Profile
- LinkedIn logo size: 300×300 pixels
- LinkedIn square logo: 60×60 pixels (minimum)
- LinkedIn cover image size: 1128×191 pixels
- LinkedIn life tab company pic: 900×600 pixels
- LinkedIn life tab main image: 1128×376 pixels
- LinkedIn custom module size: 502×282 pixels
- LinkedIn blog post size: 1200×627 pixels (recommended), aspect ratio 1.91:1
- LinkedIn Stories image size: 1080×1920 pixels, aspect ratio: 9:16
- LinkedIn Ads image size: 100×100 pixels
- LinkedIn sponsored content size: 1200×627 pixels, aspect ratio 1.91:1
- LinkedIn sponsored carousel images size: 1080×1080 pixels, aspect ratio 1:1
- LinkedIn custom background for spotlight Ads: 300×250 pixels
In this modern era, you can’t neglect the importance of social media networks. With the power of social media, big brands are able to portray and reach potential customers. It is only possible with enhanced visual content. All social media managers, marketers, designers, and people who are working on SEO must keep this article in their mind while designing or choosing a social media platform for designing social media images.
The biggest mistake people make or face while adding social media images is failing to understand the recommended sizes. I hope now you are familiar with the perfect image sizes for Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, LinkedIn, Pinterest, TikTok, and all other social media platforms. A perfect-sized image is a key to avoiding pixelation and is perfectly shown on all devices and screen sizes.